Since its establishment in 1890, University School has served as a model for the American independent “Country Day School.” Located in the Greater Cleveland area, its mission is to inspire boys of promise to become young men of character who lead and serve. Their dedicated faculty, rigorous curriculum and experiential programs foster intellectual, physical, creative and moral excellence. T.W. Miller graduated from the University School in 1928.
In 2019, the school set out to renovate their Shaker Campus. A gift from the Elinor & T.W. Miller, Jr. Foundation helped fund the project. The renovation came at a perfect time—right before COVID hit. The renovations played a key role in allowing University School to reopen school in the fall during the pandemic. The improved health center incorporates state of the art equipment, areas for health assessments, and rooms for sick children and adults to be isolated. The air handling and filtration systems were upgraded. Large and flexible spaces allow for social distancing and increased areas for classes. More secure entrances allow the school to take temperatures and perform health screenings for visitors.
“The Miller Foundation played a critical role in making the renovation of our Shaker Heights campus a reality by providing a lead gift that served as a catalyst for others. We are very grateful to the Miller Foundation for enabling our renovation and the many enhancements that followed. For generations to come, University School students, faculty and visitors will enjoy the significant impact on the safety, security, and enjoyment of our Shaker Heights campus.”
–Patrick Gallagher, Head of School